About the programThe Goethe-Institut Villa Kamogawa offers up to 9 German artists and creators the opportunity to live and work in Japan on a three-month scholarship. The residency in Kyoto aims to provide inspiration and artistic orientation for the scholarship holders. In direct, personal exchanges with the local cultural scene, they develop new projects and establish reliable working contacts with Japanese cultural institutions and creators. The Villa Kamogawa is operated by the Goethe-Institut, the Federal Republic of Germany’s cultural institute, active worldwide.
LanguageGerman, English and Japanese are working languages at the Vila Kamogawa
EligibilityArtists and cultural figures that have lived and worked in Germany for several years, mainly as a freelance artist, who already finished their studies and whose works received already high public recognition. No age limitation, not limited to German nationals.
Application deadlineApplication period: approx. February – March each year
Studio information4 fully equipped artist apartments with working space (approx. 60 sqm each), shared kitchen and lounge for all artists, library, Café, event hall, etc.
What the AiR provides
- Free accommodation for three months in an apartment at the Villa Kamogawa.
- A total grant of 8,000 EUR for three months, (incl. costs for production, international and local transport, translator/interpreter etc.).
- Logistic and conceptual support for project and research
- Japanese orientation course at the beginning of the stay
- Contacts to the Japanese cultural scenes
- Participation in events organised by the Goethe-Institut Osaka Kyoto or Villa Kamogawa and support for events organised by the scholarship holders (open studio, talks, exhibitions, readings, concerts, etc.)
What the Artist paysTravel and Medical insurance.
How to applyOpen call (online application only)
OutcomeNo obligation to produce anything.
ContactAddress: 19-3 Yoshida Kawahara-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8305, Japan
Tel: +81 75 761 2188
Website: Goethe-Institut Villa Kamogawa / Facebook / Instagram / YouTube
* If you see an error or omission on this page, please let us know by e-mail.